Skip to main content


University Guide

This comprehensive guide provides you with all the information you need for the 2019/2020 Winter Semester at RWU.

General Information about Studying

You can apply via the RWU online application portal:

You can learn more on the application portal site and also on our Applications website. More detailed information about program prerequisites can be found under the respective faculty.


Each degree program organizes their courses and internship semesters differently.

You will receive a class schedule well before the beginning of the lecture period each semester. Lectures can be scheduled to start as early as 8:00 AM and the last classes of the day end at 7:15 PM. There may also be days on which no class takes place; these are usually planned into the schedule so that students can study and learn independently.

You will begin to get information about studying at RWU as soon as you receive your letter of admission.

As soon as you have completed your online registration and submitted all documents and paid the fees on time, you will officially be enrolled as a student. You will then receive your certificate of enrollment and your student ID card.


Yes, you can receive credits for lectures taken at other faculties and/or from other universities. Please arrange an appointment with the head of your respective program as early as possible. Bring the following with you to this meeting:

1. An official transcript which documents your courses and grades from the previous institution.

2. A description of the courses for which you would like to transfer credits (the description from the previous institution's course catalog would be ideal).

3. A list of all the courses for which you would like to transfer credits.

4. The credit transfer form from the Student Administration Office (Downloads - "Anerkennung/Anrechnung von Studien- und Prüfungsleistungen").


Please note: In order for course credits to be transferred, the scope (ECTS) and content of the courses must correspond to the respective courses in your new degree program.

The SPO (Study and Examination Regulations or "Studien- und Prüfungsordnung" in German) describes the overall structure and individual guidelines pertinent to your degree program, and you should definitely make sure to read it. You will find your program's SPO on the LSF website under "My SPO" or in the Student Examination Office section of the Student Administration Office website.

Enrolled students can find the information they need for their studies in the RWU portals. The "Wegweiser" (directory) helps you find your way between the portals and explains which portal serves which purpose.

You can convert any remaining credit on your student ID card into cash at the RWU Dining Hall.

Some faculties provide information on the practical / internship semester in a separate Moodle course. If you do not find what you are looking for in Moodle, please contact your faculty secretariat or the practical office (Praxisamt) of your faculty.

On the pages of the International Office you will find information and contacts for studying abroad.

Information for students with children or special needs can be found here.

Bachelor's: 7 standard semesters + up to 3 additional semester as needed

Master's: 3 standard semesters + up to 3 additional semesters (applicable to all master's programs, with the exception of BEM, BPM, and SGM. These 3 master's programs formerly belonged to the AWW and have a study period of 5 standard semesters + up to 3 additional semesters)

If undergraduates find themselves at the end of the 10th semester or graduate students are at the end of the 6th or 8th semester and have yet to complete their program's graduation requirements, they may apply for an extension of the study period.

There is no official form for this; you must write a letter explaining and justifying your request for an extension. You can then submit the letter directly to the Student Examination Office. The Central Examination Board (ZPA) will make a decision regarding your request.

You can find this information on the academic calendar (listed under "Termine") as a PDF, or in the online academic calendar.

The Student Examination Office and the Admissions Office are open year round, even between semesters. You can find the daily hours on the Student Administration Office website. In the event that the Student Administration Office is closed, students can still communicate with them via email.


You must retake the exam the following semester. Please bear in mind that you cannot deregister from the exam if you are retaking it.

No, you will only be automatically reregistered for the exam if the course is a degree requirement per your program's study and examination regulations (SPO).

You have 14 days from the day of the test to submit your certificate to the Student Examination Office.

You have 21 days after receiving the letter to fill out a petition for special hardship and submit it to the Student Examination Office. If you fail to do so, you will then receive notice that you are no longer permitted to take the exam and you will not be able to remain in that degree program.

1st attempts are not permitted by the study and examination regulations (SPO), although exams may be retaken (2nd and 3rd attempts) during this time.

You may not take exams during an academic break.

Maternity leave, parental leave, pregnancy, and breaks taken due to other care-giving obligations are exceptions to this rule.

Students from all faculties must contact the Admissions Office if they need to postpone their internship semester.

The only exception to this are the degree programs in the S Faculty. Students in these degree programs must fill out an application to modify their study program ("Antrag auf abweichendes Studium" in German)  and submit it to the chairperson of the examination board.

You must have fulfilled all first and second semester requirements by the end of your fourth or fifth semester (depending upon the degree program). Failure to do so will result in your being excluded from further examinations.

You may appeal this decision and will not be immediately deregistered from the university.

Directly with the Student Examination Office. They will provide you with all the necessary forms for registration and can guide you through the process.

You should always hand in one copy to the Student Examination Office for the first examiner. If the second examiner is also from the university, then you should submit the second copy to the Student Examination Office as well. However, if the second examiner is external, from a company, for example, then deliver the second copy to them yourself.

Fill out and include the following forms when submitting your thesis to the Student Examination Office:

  • Final Thesis Completion ("Fertigstellung der Abschlussarbeit" in German)
  • Application for Deregistration ("Exmatrikulationsantrag" in German), complete with signatures from the University Library and Facility Management Office

You can find these forms under Downloads or in person at the Student Administration Office.

Per the SPO (study and examination regulations) the deadline for the bachelor's thesis may be extended by up to 4 weeks and the master's thesis by up to 3 months

You must submit a written request for this extension to the chairperson of the examination board. This will be the head of your respective degree program.